Humans are social beings. Group therapy is one avenue to engage with others in a dynamic and informative environment.
Advantages of Group Therapy:
- Effective at overcoming struggles in early phases of treatment: removes the adversarial dynamic with being in treatment
- Positive peer support: association, information, feedback
- Reduction in patient’s sense of isolation. Realize that you are not alone and many others struggle with similar issues.
- Experience real-life examples of people in recovery, gaining perspective on your own recovery
- Social skills training and practice.
Group sessions are effective at treating problems that accompany addiction: depression, isolation & shame
Groups help to support individuals in times of pain & trouble – sharing your experiences with others is therapeutic